Wednesday, September 05, 2007

5 September 2007

Today was a beautiful P-day spent in the beautiful Cinque Terre! There were a bunch of missionaries in my district who hadn't been so they all wanted to go, including my trainee, Sister Call, so we spent the day there. It was absolutely gorgeous and the weather was perfect. Mamma mia we have had quite the transfer of P-days and I'm pretty much tired! I can't wait till next p-day when we can just have a normal day to get caught up writing letters! So those who have written don't loose hope, I'll respond soon!

So... starting with what happened since I last wrote... Last p-day while we were in Florence we at at this burrito place. I've eaten there about 3 times before back when I was serving in Prato when we would go to Florence all the time. This time, however, we got a bad batch. Wednesday night both sister Call and I woke up in the night feeling sick to our stomach's. We didn't sleep well and had to call president to stay in thursday morning. Come to find out that all the Florence missionaries who ate there that day were sick as well! So we all suffered a little bout of food poisoning! Boy do I hate being sick. We were able to make it 50 steps over to the church for an appointment we had with an inactive and then just rested after that so that we could work on Friday.

Friday morning we went out to Fabrizia's house. She's a lady (late 60's) who talks a lot and has been meeting with the missionaries since the beginning of the year. The elders had been teaching her but she just barely understood that she could say a specific prayer to find out whether the book of mormon and the church is true! So we were excited about that breakthrough and hope to see her next week.

Saturday we did lots of finding work and had an appointment with a member. Sunday was a great fast and testimony meeting. Always nice to fast for investigators and their needs, as well as for our own!

Monday we had a great district meeting and training on prayer and the power of it. We got to stop by and see the family that let us in a week ago, the stefanini family. They weren't able to come to church but hopefully we can get them there next week! We also had a great appointment with Svieta.... probably one of the most picture perfect appointments I've had on my mission. She is a talker but we just went in there, taught her the first principles in the 2nd lesson (the plan of salvation), and left while the spirit was still there after having invited her to read and pray and be baptized when she comes to the knowledge of the truthfulness. I remember being so tired that night and just asking Heavenly Father to help me and my comp teach well. We had just practiced teaching that exact lesson to our district leader for our once-a-transfer teaching evaluations, so we were prepared. It went so well and I know that we had Father's help in teaching her. She was the right person I needed to see at that time. I never realized how much energy training takes out of you. It seems like lots of weaknesses are magnified and it's easy to get discouraged because you want to be the best missionary example to the new missionary but you make mistakes. But Svieta was so complimentary (and believe me she's a really blunt person!). She told me how well I spoke Italian and at the end of the lesson she told me that I should be a teacher when I get back because I teach well. This sounds a little prideful, I realize, and this next part a little cheesy, but I know the pride and glory goes to Father because I can't do this on my own and he helped me that night and helps me every day.

Yesterday we had interviews in Pisa. They are good, definitely different than president Rhiens, but good nonetheless. They are more like mini trainings for us missionaries rather than asking about how the work is going. What did you do dad? He's an inspired man though and wants this work to blossom! Then we rushed home and I had to quickly put together an english class lesson and the family night lesson in less than 5 minutes! Mamma mia. Both turned out okay but I do like being more prepared! I can't believe I'm over half way done with my mission! Some days it feels like I was just in the MTC and other days it seems like I've been here quite a while! I remember when I was a new missionary in Prato I had A LOT of energy and I remember my trainer, Sister Roper telling me how she had turned into a tired grandma! I remember thinking, what, how can you be tired? Well, now I'm the grandma and I'm the tired one! But I guess it's a good sign because if I wasn't tired something would be wrong! Time to turn on the blasters and use my second wind! PEDAL TO THE METAL COMMANDER! haha (i know tom and andy will get a kick out of that!) Just to let you all know (and I'd be surprised if you don't already ) I love being a missionary. I realize that this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and try to be my best and do what Father wants me to do.

I love this work and love this gospel. I love all of you and thank you again for always being there for me!

Love ya,

Sorella Boynton

No comments: