Monday, October 09, 2006

Here's to Running

I started training for my first marathon, the St. George Marathon, at the beginning of June. By training I mean running 3 times a week, cross-training (usually swimming) 2 times and week, and resting 2 days a week. That's what I did from June until last week. It's a strange feeling to have trained for something for so long, complete it, and have it be over so quickly. I woke up this morning, the first Monday all summer where I didn't feel obligated to go running. It was nice, especially because my muscles are still recovering. But when it comes down to it, I'd wake up for an early run over sleeping in any day. It's one of the most refreshing things in the world.

Some people think running 26.2 miles straight is crazy... and so do I. As I was half-way through the marathon, I looked ahead of me and just watched everyone running. Running, running, running, some walking, but most just running. I thought, "What is it that makes people want to run for such a long time?" "Why do I like doing this?" In my opinion, the benefits of running far outweigh the craziness and that's why I run.

The marathon was hard. We woke up at 4:30am and were bussed up to the freezing starting line. Before I knew it we were running. I've always loved running in the morning. The sun slowly came up and the full moon slowly went down. The first big hill came at mile 7 and my friend Jessie had to take a pit stop so I continued running and from there on out I ran alone. I guess that's not totally true. I did have The Killers, The Arcade Fire, The Fray, Interpol, and a couple other bands to keep me company. I can remember mile 13 being tough. I was tired but was only half way there. My left knee had been hurting pretty bad earlier on but was feeling better. I had already eaten a gu and I think that's what got me through for a while. The next wall I hit was at mile 20. It's hard because at that point you know you only have 6.2 miles left but the problem is you've already been running 20! A number of times during the marathon I thought of Dad and his Ironman. I might be able to run 26.2 miles, but add a 2.4 mile swim and a 112 mile bike? Now that's borderline insane! Props Dad! Anyways, all I could do was keep running. Walking was not an option because I knew if I did my legs wouldn't allow me to start running again. The finish line was finally in sight and it took every last ounce of energy to get there! I saw Rod, Jo, Milo, Pam, and Dean there cheering me on. I crossed the finish line with a time of 4:00:55. Sweet. I ate a couple popsicles and watched my other friends come in. It felt so good to be done! Especially because I had cut my goal time by 30 minutes. We all hobbled around the rest of the day but had a nice swim and later, dinner at Bajios. It's an experience I'll never forget and hopefully one I'll be able to experience a few more times.

Running in races is rewarding in many ways and leaves you with a great sense of accomplishment. I love the feeling AFTER a good race. I also love running when I'm not training for a race. It just plain makes me feel good. So here's three cheers to running for helping me relieve stress, for helping me get to know my way around new places, for keeping me healthy, and for bringing me closer to friends and family. Hip Hip HOORAY! Hip HIP HOORAY! HIP HIP HOORAY!

So whose going to run the 2008 St. George Marathon with me?

5 comments:

Ellen said...

Way to go Care! I'm so proud of you. I wish I shared your love of running. You make it sound like a lot more fun than I know it is! So, I guess that's my way of saying I won't be joining you in 2008! But I'll still cheer you on!

Jourdan said...

Congrats Care! I am so proud of you, and a little jealous that I wasn't there with you! I'd be with you in 2008, but who's to say YOU won't be the married and pregnant one. (wink wink) just kiddin

Marg said...

I wish I could have been there to cheer you on too! But let me tell you I was thinking about you on Saturday! Im really proud of you Carrie! YOU ROCK!!

I seriously cant even think about 2008 right now- I cant even figure out what to have for dinner tonight!

Shirley said...

Great job Carrie. Steve and I kept saying - "I wonder where Carrie is now?" all morning on Saturday. That sounds awesome! I can't wait to start running again.
I'm with Marg though - 2008 is an eternity! I'd be as reliable as planning Porter's first date. :) But if I can, I'll see you there!

Anonymous said...

Ahh, my young padawan, I sense the force is strong with you, your journey has just begun.