Thursday, September 14, 2006

Simply Satisfied

Pathetic. I was going to get up at 7:00am this morning and go running but the bed wouldn't let go of me. The sheets pulled me in and the pillow almost swallowed my head whole. After an hour and a half of wondering whether I would make it out alive or if the bed would hold me hostage for the rest of the day , I finally broke free from it's grasp at 8:30am. I went on with my morning routine which consists of some studying, eating breakfast, and checking the blogs (yeah, I admit I'm addicted.) I also managed to get my laundry done, and yes, I even folded it while it was still hot.
The whole morning I felt guilty for sleeping in and missing prime running time. Everyone who runs knows what a good feeling it is to wake up early and get it done first thing in the morning! In Hawaii my friends and I were very good at getting up early (at least by 5:30am every morning!) and either going running or swimming. I'm a firm believer in the "strength in numbers" theory. Although it was tough to escape that same bed monster that held me captive today, there was always at least one other person to fish the others out. There were many tactics used to get each other up throughout the summer. My favorite was Aubree saying, "Feet on the floor! Feet on the floor!" and me responding with "I'm freakin' awake!" Oh, the things people say when they are coming out of a deep sleep!
Whenever I see people running in mid-day I think they're crazy. It's way too hot to be running at that time! Today, for the first time in my life, I was that person...and boy was it hot! I told myself that that's what I deserved for sleeping in. I ran for an hour as the sun beat down on me, the whole time my eyes stinging from the sweat that dripped from my forehead. Mother nature really wanted to rub it in because about 5 minutes after I got back, a huge thunderstorm rolled in. Rain poured down and thunder clapped continously. Of course the rain came AFTER I got back. Why couldn't it have come during my run? I would rather run in the rain then in the sun any day!
The rain is what made the rest of the day so good. The smell after a good rain is one of my favorites. I opened my window and let it rush into the room. The thunder continued to clap for awhile and my best friend for the past couple weeks, Milo, would bury his head into me whenever he heard it. Then we would go back to playing our tunes.
What better way to end the day then with a couple rounds of Liars dice and a yummy rhubarb and strawberry pie fresh out of the oven. I'm glad I went running, even if it was during the hottest part of the day, just so I could feel justified in eating that piece of the pie. I'm glad I have this time to "do nothing." Sometimes a simple life is the best life and it most certainly pays off in unexpected ways.

1 comment:

Jourdan said...

More like Strawberry Hotdog pie!Thanks for the game Carrie. Rod doesn't play games with me anymore unless someone else convinces him. Thank goodness for game-lovers!