Monday, August 21, 2006

Acai


Yum. I've discovered my new favorite thing to eat. It's called acai, pronounced uh-sigh. I first heard about it from one of my roomates here in Hawaii. There's a Brazilian place, Island Shack, just off Kamehameha Highway near Sunset Beach that serves it just like the picture shown here. All it is is a smoothie made with acai berries and then topped with granola and bananas. Acai is an "antioxidant rich berry that grows wild in the Brazilian Amazon and is considered to be one of the top Superfoods in the world." Heck, if Oprah has mentioned it, you know it's gotta be good!
On Saturday, Jenn and I woke up at 5am and ran 16 miles as part of our marathon training. We planned it so that after we were done running, we could sit at the beach for awhile until Island Shack opened. After napping on the beach for 3 hours, it opened and we were rewarded with a big bowl of acai! Nothing like eating something cold, healthy, and filling after a long run!

No comments: